Saro Town Hall
Barrio La Magdalena, s/n (Llerana)
Phone: 942 593 351 / 942 593 412
Fax: 942 593 351
Schedule: from 08:00 to14:00h.
The forge of La Magdalena in the square of the town of Llerana, is iconic in this municipality. In its beginnings it was a great smithy in which great quantities of iron were smelted. The was powered by a water wheel which at the same time moved a system of wooden cams that made the hammer and the bellows work. This forge belonged to Don Alonso de Obregón y Arce, until after many decades it was turned into a flour and chocolate factory.
- Archaeological heritage: in Saro have been located two necropolis of great value. In them, different wakes have been found, one of them with a Greek cross in the front and a vegetal motive in the back.
- Architectural heritage: from 17th and 18th c.: Saro has an abundant heritage, religious and secular, where the Palace of Gómez Barreda stands out, with a chapel dedicated to the Virgin of Guadalupe. Regarding religious heritage, are to be mentioned the chapel of the Virgin del Camino, the shrine of Saint Michael and the Parroquial Churches of Saint Tirso and Saint Lorenzo. The tower of the former keeps the Expatriate Museum. We also find “humilladeros”, small praying points signaled with a cross or other religious elements.
- Hydraulic inventions: we find footprints of some cereal mills (it is believed there were a total of 11), used since the Early Medium Age to grind grain as a way of family autosubsistence. Between these, stand out the mill of Rubionzo, in the limit with Villacarriedo, that has recently been restaurated. Other example of hydraulic energy benefitting can be seen in the remainders of the light factory in Llerana, which functioned until middle 20th century. In the same town, we also find the old forge La Magdalena, now a chocolate factory.
- Between heraldries and mills (10 Km): In this route, to do by car or bicycle, one visits the three neighbourhoods of Saro, where countless emblazoned houses can be admired and it is possible to access by feet Rubionzo mill, in the limit with Villacarriedo, through a beautiful stone road.
- A walk through Hormaza and Peñarredonda (8 Km): this is an easy route for hikers, from the neighbourhood of Coterillo to the source of Llerana river, in the highest zone of Saro. In the path, a Pas cottage in Hormaza can be accessed and we can see fantastic views from the division between Pisueña and Miera rivers.