It is enough to walk through the historical and artistic points of Villacarriedo to get to know the valley’s history. The magnificent Baroque Palace of Soñanes, the school of Fathers Escolapios, the “montañesas” houses all in a row and their small churches are only some of the heritage examples in the municipality. Also see the “Cajigona de Villacarriedo” located in one of its squares is a oak tree that is over 100 years old and of cultural importance.
- Palace of Soñanes: the most sumptuous civil construction of Baroque Cantabrian architecture and a referent in regional heritage. Built between 1718 and 1722, it has a fantastic decoration and was declared Cultural Interest Good in 1981. Nowadays it is a luxury hotel-restaurant. The palace is not the only civil building of value, since the municipality is full of manor houses, emblazoned or not, with beautiful examples of tradicional rural houses.
- Religious architectonical heritage: the School of the Fathers Escolapios, built in 1746, has a church with a spectacular set of altarpieces dating from 18th c. Other notable temples are Sta. María (Tezanos), S. Juan Bautista (Santibáñez), Santiago (Pedroso), S. Fructuoso (Aloños) and Our Lady of El Carmen (Bárcena de Carriedo).
- Hydraulic inventions: there are a few flour mills, one in Bárcena de Carriedo (Barrio La Riberilla), two in Abionzo, and the most important due to its size, in Santibáñez. This last one is included since 2004 in the General Inventary of Cultural Heritage of Cantabria.
- Cultural heritage: the Bolera (bowling alley) of Santa Ana, in the neighbourhood of Tezanillos, is the oldest one in Cantabria. It is believed to be from the beginning of 19th century.
- Aloños beech grove (4,5 hours): this foot route of medium difficulty goes through the interior of a small beech grove ruta a pie de dificultad media discurre por el interior de un pequeño hayedo bien conservado, desde el núcleo de Aloños hasta el alto del Tablao, con amplias perspectivas sobre el valle.
- Journey through the towns (10 Km): going by car through the twons from Bárcena de Carriedo to Tezanos, Pedroso, Santibáñez and Aloños, we can see different architecture elements of great heritage value (house manors, traditional houses, fountains, bowling alleys, etc.)