Cross of Rubalcaba
The Rubalcaba Cross is majestic and unparalleled in Cantabria. Its origin dates from 1712, when it was built as a pillar with the coat of arms of the families Miera, Velasco, Agüero, Riba and Rubalcaba. The support is made up of two figures and is crowned by a crucified Christ.
As Amós de Escalante points out, “high, very high the blazon, but higher the Cross”. In the front of the house the coats of arms are repeated, supported by two lions. González Echegaray described the coats of arms as follows: “Emblem with two lions as supports and great number of flower motifs , masks, newts and lambrequins as decoration. 1) Two castles and two trees crowned by stars, alternated. Miera coat of arms. 2) Tower with a lady in its window, a knight lancing a serpent, accompanied by two dogs. Coat of arms of Rubalcaba. 3) Seven order verses. Coat of arms of Velasco. 4) Tower on which two griffins are fighting, leaning on two trees, one on each side of the tower. Riba coat of arms. 5) Band accompanied by three order verses, crown with a star, and a rampant griffin. Coat of arms of Agüero.”
The most important aspect of the manor’s architecture is the way in which the house links to the pathway, the old path to Castile by the pass of Lunada, one must not forget, was at the time the first alternative to modern communication link with the plateau. The attention of the walker is called to the values of the building; its marked tendency to show more relevance towards the ancient Royal Pathway, generates an architectural imbalance. On this side of the house is the fabulous and innovative corner window finished in scallops, where the wall has good ashlar masonry, and where the entrance of the estate also looks towards the Cross of Rubalcaba.