Saint Mary of Cayón
Taking the same name as the ancient church of Saint Mary of Pangorres, according to the documentation, in the early part of the 9th century, the church of Saint Mary of Cayón is a notable example of regional Roman architecture.
In its origins, around mid 12th century, this church must have had only one nave, to which the transept was added later but still in the Roman period. It is characterized by it’s height and the great Gothic bulrush, formed by two bodies divided by fascia, double Baroque embrasure and crowned by a stone cross and pinnacles on its corners.
The simple bell shaped entrance has five moldings without decoration protected by overhangs with concave molding and a cover held by cantilevers.
In the interior the arches are notable, with spires below the apse windows. It has a semicircular floor plan, with prismatic spurs, three windows decorated with rhombus overhangs and ornate moldings. The interior is covered by semi-domes. The apse’s front elevation is divided in three areas: the first one joined by blind arches on which are built fascias of the wooden cylinders that mark the transition to the second area, in which there are two spans.
From 1555 to the mid 1700’s, the Ceballos held dominion over San Andrés, and they had the right to collect rents. The temple was built in the first half of 12th century and has one nave, finished with a semicircular apse divided by columns with decorated spires into three areas.
On the North and South walls and on the apse, notable are the cantilevers in varied forms, especially the animal shapes. Above them is a flared cornice. The entrance, with a rounded arch, has four carved moldings and varied spires. Above the gate is the tower, the first floor is from the late Roman age and the rest is from 16th and 17th centuries. The apsex covered by a semi-dome and the long presbytery with half barrel vault are notable.