Sanctuary of Our Lady of El Soto
The Sanctuary of Our Lady of El Soto, in Iruz, is a Franciscan foundation that shows the transition between 16th and 17th centuries, since the ensemble is built during different stages. At the end of 16th century the interior body, the entrance and the octagonal tower are built in a Gothic style, while the church and the cloister are built during 17th century. Presents all of the rooms of a convent from the Order of Friars Minor: church and housing body around a double height cloister. The origins of this building are related to an old hospital which was founded in the year 734.
A slim and original octagonal tower with an arcane look, between Renaissance and Medieval styles, is the first visual reference of the monastery of Our Lady of El Soto. Built in 1573, it presents terraced columns and a small tower with a cube form that holds a spiral staircase terraced to the wall. It has two bell chambers, in which are a total of sixteen rounded open spans, they are very long and filled with stone bead moldings.
In spite of its Friar origins, it is now inhabited by the Order of the Carmelites.